D1 Digest: Louisville Sweeps Ole MissRoundup
Team Of The Day: Louisville
The seventh-ranked Cardinals completed a huge two-game midweek sweep of No. 9 Ole Miss with a 10-8 victory on Wednesday. The Rebels jumped on blue-chip freshman Kerry Wright for two runs in the top of the first, but the Cardinals responded in a big way, scoring five runs in the bottom of the first to chase Houston Roth. Freshman Alex Binelas delivered the big swing in that rally, a two-run single to cap the scoring — then added a two-run homer to center field in the third to break the game open. Tyler Fitzgerald added three hits to lead a 13-hit attack for the Cardinals, who held off Ole Miss’ late rally in the final two innings. Fitzgerald also had two hits and three RBIs in Tuesday’s 4-3 win in 10 innings, and he now leads Louisville with a .344 average, three home runs and 19 RBIs this season.
Player of the Day: Eastern Illinois’ Jimmy Govern
Eastern Illinois leadoff man Jimmy Govern had a day to remember in a 15-6 win over Alabama State. Govern went 4-for-6 and hit for the cycle, finishing with three runs and three RBIs. He got EIU started on the right foot with a homer to lead off the game, and the Panthers went on to complete the sweep of their two
— EIU Baseball (@EIU_Baseball) March 14, 2019
-game midweek set at ASU.
Unbeaten Teams Keep Rolling
The last two unbeaten teams in Division I kept on trucking Wednesday night:
• No. 20 NC State improved to 17-0 with an 18-3 shellacking of George Mason. The Wolfpack took control of the game with six runs in the third, then broke it wide open with a 10-spot in the sixth, highlighted by JT Jarrett’s three-run double and Tyler McDonough’s two-run double.
• No. 25 Arizona State also improved to 16-0 with a 7-3 win over a good New Mexico State club. Hunter Bishop’s huge first half continued for ASU, as the junior center fielder went 4-for-4 with two homers and three RBIs to lead the Sun Devils’ offense. He’s hitting .452 on the season.
• No. 24 Clemson ran its winning streak to five games with an 8-5 win over No. 16 Coastal Carolina, on the heels of its big sweep over North Carolina. The Tigers blitzed the Chants with six runs in the first, highlighted by Logan Davidson’s two-homer and freshman Adam Hackenberg’s three-run shot. Owen Griffith earned the win with three strong innings of relief, allowing just one unearned run while striking out six.
• No. 15 North Carolina broke a 4-4 tie with a run in the seventh and tacked on six more runs over the final two innings to earn an 11-4 road win at UNC Wilmington. Ike Freeman’s two-run double in the eighth and Brandon Martorano’s three-run homer in the ninth were the big blows.
• Liberty improved to 3-0 against ACC opponents this year with a 14-5 blowout of Virginia. The Flames (12-4) erased a 3-0 deficit with seven runs in the fifth, then tacked on five more in the eighth. Cam Locklear had three RBIs, while Logan Mathieu and Jaylen Guy had three hits apiece to lead the Liberty offense.
• Five ranked SEC teams were in action Wednesday against unranked teams, and all five of them won:
– Jake Mangum (4-for-4, 4 R, 2 RBI) and Elijah MacNamee (grand slam, 5 RBI) led an 18-hit attack for No. 6 Mississippi State in an 18-1 win over Grambling.
– No. 8 Georgia rode a four-run seventh (higlighted by an LJ Talley two-run homer) to a 6-3 win at Georgia State.
– Zach Watson went 4-for-4 with three runs, three RBIs, a double and a home run to lead an 18-hit attack for No. 13 LSU in a 16-5 win over Texas Southern.
– Dominic Fletcher (2-for-2, 3 RBI) led a balanced offensive attack for No. 14 Arkansas in an 11-1 win over Western Illinois.
– No. 23 Tennessee beat UNC Asheville 7-2, improving the Volunteers to 17-1 on the season. Alerick Soularie’s two-run homer highlighted a four-run seventh for Tennessee.