Position Power Rankings-Catcher-Patrick Bailey
SHARE

2020 Preseason Power Rankings: Catcher

Season Preview

Last month, we unveiled our preseason All-America teams, which followed one guiding principle: If we were building a team to win the 2020 national title, which players would we choose? We use that same philosophy to construct our Position Power Rankings — think of them as an extension of our preseason All-America teams.

These are NOT pro prospect lists, but they do take pure talent into consideration. Players who proved themselves against top competition in summer ball and look poised for breakout years might rank higher on the list than other players with gaudier stats from last spring. We considered past performance and offensive statistics, but we tried to keep the numbers in context, because some leagues or ballparks are more offensive than others, and some leagues simply have more talent than others — so all stat lines are not created equal. So in addition to the numbers, we also considered raw talent, defensive ability (especially at premium positions), makeup and reports of development over the summer and fall.

Finally, remember that there are 301 Division I teams, and we’re only ranking the top 10 percent of starting players at each position. These lists reflect our projections for which players will be the best of the best this spring, but there are many good players in the remaining 90 percent who won’t make the cut. However, we’ll revisit the Position Power Rankings over the course of the season and make adjustments as players prove themselves on the field.

Here’s a look at the top 30 catchers in college baseball.

Top 30 Catchers

RankPlayer, SchoolAVG/OBP/SLGOPSABHRRBIBBSOSB
1Patrick Bailey, NC State.288/.390/.513.903236104641431
2Austin Wells, Arizona.353/.462/.5521.01422156046436
3Adrian Del Castillo, Miami.331/.418/.576.994236127232243
4Michael Rothenberg, Duke.269/.390/.481.871212115233453
5Casey Opitz, Arkansas.243/.379/.311.69017733338457

Check out the full rankings below!


Already a subscriber? Log In

 

.

SHARE
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

FILED UNDER , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x