Final 2020 Power Rankings: Outfield Position Power Rankings
Before the season started, we unveiled power rankings for every position, following the same guiding principle we used to form our Preseason All-America Teams: If we were building a team to win the 2020 national title, which players would we choose? Even though the season was canceled prematurely and there will be no national champion, we’ll stick to that philosophy with our final updated power rankings.
These are NOT professional prospect lists, though they do take pure talent into consideration. We considered past performance and offensive statistics, but we also try to keep the numbers in context, because some leagues or ballparks are more offensive than others, and some leagues simply have more talent than others — so all stat lines are not created equal. And because the season was only four weeks long and nonconference strength of schedules vary so dramatically, we tried not to overreact to 2020 statistics. We made some adjustments based on performance this season, but we also gave some latitude to players who proved themselves over previous seasons and got off to slow starts this spring. We also considered defensive ability (especially at premium positions), makeup and reports of development in the preseason and the shortened spring season.
Finally, remember that there are 301 Division I teams, and we’re ranking the top 10 percent of starting players at each position. Many good players in the remaining 90 percent just didn’t make the cut.
With all that said, here’s a look at the top 100 shortstops in college baseball. We had a vigorous debate over the No. 1 spot between a pair of first-team preseason All-Americans who are slam-dunk first-rounders: Arkansas slugger Heston Kjerstad and Vanderbilt hit machine Austin Martin, who moved from third base to center field this spring. Ultimately, Kjerstad’s white-hot month of 2020 production gave him the edge for No. 1. Find out who else made the cut.
- Heston Kjerstad, Arkansas
- Austin Martin, Vanderbilt
- Zach DeLoach, Texas A&M
- Garrett Mitchell, UCLA
- Tyler Gentry, Alabama
- Daniel Cabrera, LSU
- Jud Fabian, Florida
- Hudson Haskin, Tulane
- Chris Lanzilli, Wake Forest
- Dylan Neuse, Texas Tech
Log in or sign up for a subscription to view the full top 100! Get two free months today!
Already a subscriber? Log In
FILED UNDER Aaron Palensky, Al Soularie, Alabama, Alec Burleson, Andrew Eyster, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Army, Auburn, Austin Martin, Austin Todd, Baron Radcliff, Baylor, Ben Anderson, Ben Carew, Billy Cook, Binghamton, Blake Dunn, Boston College, Braden Zarbnisky, Bradley, Brady Allen, Braiden Ward, Brandon Raquet, Brendan Rivoli, Bryson Worrell, Cal State Northridge, Chase DeLauter, Chris Alleyne, Chris Lanzilli, Chris Newell, Christian Franklin, Cincinnati, Colton Cowser, Connecticut, Connor Aube, Connor Kokx, Cooper Davis, Couper Cornblum, Creighton, Dan Bolt, Daniel Cabrera, Davion Downey, Denzel Clarke, Donta Williams, Dylan Harris, Dylan Neuse, Dylan Rock, East Carolina, Eastern Kentucky, Elijah Cabell, Elijah Dunham, Ethan Wilson, Fairleigh-Dickinson, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Florida State, Gabe Rivera, Garrett Mitchell, Georgia, Georgia Southern, Georgia Tech, Giovanni DiGiacomo, Grant Richardson, Harry Fullerton, Harvard, Heston Kjerstad, Hudson Byorick, Hudson Haskin, Hunter Wolfe, Indiana, Isaiah Thomas, Jack Rogers, Jacob Hurtubise, Jacob Young, Jake Holcroft, Jake Suddleson, James Madison, Jared McKenzie, Jeremy Johnson, Joe Suozzi, Joey Wiemer, John Rhodes, John Wuthrich, Jordan Nwogu, Juan Teixeira, Jud Fabian, Justin Dirden, Kansas State, Kent State, Kentucky, Kyle Battle, Kyle Hess*, Kyler Fedko, Kyler McMahan, Levi Usher, Long Beach State, Louisiana Tech, Louisville, LSU, Luca Tresh, Maryland, Mason McWhorter, Miami, Michael Guldberg, Michael Sandle, Michigan, Mississippi State, Mitchell Hartigan, NC State, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nick Howie, Noah Myers, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Parker Upton, Pepperdine, Pittsburgh, Portland, Randy Bednar, Ray Alejo, Reese Albert, Rigsby Mosley, Robby Martin, Ryan Holgate, Sal Frelick, Sam Houston State, Scout McFalls, Shane Marshall, South Alabama, South Carolina, Southeast Missouri State, Spencer Myers, Steele Netterville, Steven Williams, Tanner Allen, Tanner Tredaway, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas State, Texas Tech, Tim Elko, Tom Ruscitti, Trevor Hauver, Troy, Tucker Bradley, Tulane, Ty Johnson, Tyler Gentry, UCLA, UT Arlington, UTSA, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest, Washington, West Virginia, Western Michigan, Wichita State, Will Hollis, William & Mary, Winthrop, Wofford, Zach Britton, Zach DeLoach, Zach Kokoska